In 2020 the world was plunged into a totally different way of living, which meant people across the globe had to rethink tradition, for occasions and everyday life. As we had to avoid large groups and much of our socialising was taken online, it gave us a new understanding of the most important things in life. Weddings, in particular, were affected, with many people postponing or cancelling their big day altogether. Those who continued with the celebration had to slightly rethink the way it worked and still ended up celebrating a breathtaking day. We are going to be exploring some wedding trends 2021, and whether the pandemic will have an effect on how we celebrate.
Predicted wedding trends 2021
Wedding trends are particularly exciting to follow as each year we see the different ways couples everywhere tie the knot. We are predicting a rise of more unique occasions in 2021 as the pandemic has forced everyone to get creative and think outside the box.
Eco friendly weddings
Over the past few years, our society has come on in leaps and bounds with becoming more eco friendly. We are all becoming far more aware of sustainability, as everyone boasts reusable straws and metal water bottles. As amazing as weddings are, they can often be pretty wasteful as we are keen to go all out. Obviously, there are going to be certain elements of waste, but one of the big wedding trends 2021 will be an eco friendly big day.
Here are some of the ways you can make your wedding more sustainable:
- Limit stationary and send out e-invites instead
- Support an ethical designer for your bridal gown
- Ask friends and family members to use their old decorations, or buy in charity shops
- Reduce food waste by taking home leftovers and freezing
- Consider renting things instead of buying
- Provide edible wedding favours
- After the big day, donate instead of throwing away
Even if you choose just a couple of things from our list, it can make a big difference!
As Government guidelines specified wedding guest lists had to be much smaller, brides and grooms began to realise all the benefits of a micro wedding. These affairs tend to be cheaper, less stressful and allow you to spend more time with your guests. Gone are the days when you had to invite annoying co-workers or distant family members out of obligation. Fewer guests means you can keep the list short and sweet, inviting only your favourite people. This also means you can make each guest’s experience really special, with personalised wedding favours, unique entertainment and a mention in the speech.
Wedding ceremonies in the great outdoors are always stunning, like something out of a fairytale. Hosting your wedding outside makes the big day truly unique, and is perfect for summer weddings where the sun is shining and the birds are singing. Alexandra House is the perfect venue for an outdoor wedding which you will never forget. Set in an abundance of gorgeous outdoor space, our sweeping grounds will leave you and your partner enthralled. Just 4 miles from Swindon, we are easily accessible for guests, and our team are well versed in these unique celebrations. Our outdoor area provides a safe and comfortable space where social distancing is easy if required. Save on elements such as decor and lighting, as nature provides these for you, creating the perfect backdrop for photos.
Wedding dress trends 2021
For anyone wearing a gown for their wedding, this is a pinnacle of the day. You certainly don’t have to break the bank to have a gorgeous outfit, and we would recommend highstreet or charity shop dresses for those who want to save money. Here are some of the trends we expect to see in 2021:
- Statement sleeves are a nod to the more contemporary wedding day, perfect for those who want a bit of edge. These can be something with intricate detail such as gems, through to fantastic puffy sleeves which look great in photos
- White wedding dresses are becoming a thing of the past, with there pastel counterparts rising in popularity. Baby pinks and blues add a touch of drama whilst still looking fabulously elegant. This style allows you to express your individuality whilst still nodding to tradition
- Many brides are ditching wedding dresses altogether to go with something totally unique. As lockdown left us feeling bored and frustrated, it means a surge in trousers, jumpsuits and shorter dresses. Many people are questioning spending so much on a dress you typically wear once and instead choose their favourite evening gown as an alternative
- A sustainable wedding dress is a garment which limits the social and environmental impact of your clothing and is easier to achieve than you might think. Second hand or vintage dresses are eco friendly whilst often being much cheaper than something brand new. It also means the beautiful dress will receive multiple wears and won’t just be getting dusty in a wardrobe. If you are looking for a new dress, you can find fair-trade garments or ones made from recycled materials. Keep an eye out for locally made dresses in your area, which also allows you to support a small business
Unique wedding cakes
One of the pinnacle points of any wedding is the food. Many happy couples are abandoning tradition to go with something unique. Standard wedding cakes are being ditched in favour of cupcakes, pies or savoury food tiers. There are so many cool wedding cakes available right now, including naked cakes, marble effect and themed creations. If you and your partner love the Harry Potter series or Super Hero films, you can find a tailored cake which makes cutting it extra special. Charcuterie boards are currently very popular, who doesn’t love cheese? Guests can enjoy these nibbles throughout the evening without getting too full. Of course, this has all got to be washed down with some gorgeous cocktails, craft beer or fresh fruit juices.
Wed now and party later
Something which became really popular in 2020 which will inevitably make it into wedding trends 2021, is wed now and party later. As the pandemic meant large gatherings weren’t allowed, many brides and grooms decided they wanted to go ahead with the legal stuff and have a bigger party later. This means they still get to celebrate and have that feeling of being married, whilst having something to look forward to. This also means you get two special days! Choose just a few special guests for the initial ceremony and let everyone know you will be having a larger celebration later down the line.
Wedding trends 2021 conclusion
We hope you’ve enjoyed reading our predicted wedding trends 2021, and are looking forward to seeing how happy couples will celebrate the big day. If you are getting married in 2021, our team wish you all the happiness in the world.
Here is a rundown of what we expect:
- Eco friendly weddings
- Micro weddings
- Outdoor weddings
- Statement sleeves, pastel dresses and non-traditional gowns
- Unique wedding cakes
- Wed now, party later
If you are still looking for the perfect venue to celebrate, look no further than Alexandra House. Set in 20 acres of sweeping grounds and close to a gorgeous countryside location, we are the perfect place to tie the knot. Our inclusive wedding offer means you can book for just £2020, allowing you to get a little more from your budget. You must book by May 2021, to take place by the end of September 2021 subject to dates and availabilities. Our unbelievable wedding offer includes private event hire, a three-course menu, a dedicated wedding coordinator, red carpet arrival, DJ and dancefloor, and a superior room including breakfast for the B&G on the night of the wedding. You simply can’t miss out on this exclusive offer!
For further information or to speak to our team, don’t hesitate to get in contact.